Tips for Travelers when Reserving a Vacation Rental
Posted by Mt Hood Vacation Rentals | Monday, February 15, 2010
When looking for the perfect vacation rental to stay in during your vacation, here are a few tips:
1. Rent a professionally managed vacation rental to ensure youâ��ll get consistent hospitality services and quality assurance standards, as well as professionally cleaned and managed homes, ongoing & objective inspections and concierge type services that provide destination expert advice. Also, make sure your reservation requests are treated with respect and in a timely fashion. Friendly, helpful service goes a long way when planning your trip.
2. Request and evaluate past guest reviews, testimonials and references. You can find guest reviews for each rental home http://www.mthoodrentals.com/.
3.Ask about bedrooms and bed types, to make sure they match your groupâ��s needs â�� whether two twins, three queens, one king etc. or if there are real bedrooms or lofts.
4. Maid service is usually not included in the rental, so if you prefer daily housekeeping services, you usually can pay an additional daily fee. All Mt Hood Vacation Rentals include a washer and dryer and basic cleaning supplies, so you are able to easily take care of the small items.
5. If driving on vacation, bring a package with any unusual food and beverage items you enjoy at home. Most specialty items are available nearby, so check with the management office first. All of our rental homes also provide salt, pepper, ground cinnamon, Italian seasoning, cooking oil and sugar.
6. Does the rental agency have an accessible customer service number for 24/7 emergency needs and after hour requests? At Mt Hood Vacation Rentals, you can call our local after-hours emergency number when the office is closed or you can reach someone at our toll-free number 24/7/365.
7. Inquire about the privacy and setting of your rental home, as well as the type of community itâ��s located within (gated, near recreation, riverfront, etc.). At Mt Hood, we categorize our homes as secluded, semi-secluded, not secluded or condo. Most homes are riverfront or creekside.
8. Look for third-party endorsements on the websites of rental management companies, including membership in industry associations like the Vacation Rental Managers Association, Oregon Lodging Association or the local chamber of commerce.
9. Ask about the kitchen and available appliances. Ask for a list of all cookware, serveware, utensils and specialty items. Rather than spending hard-earned vacation dollars on a full restaurant breakfast every morning, stock up from the local supermarket on your favorite cereal, snacks, eggs, or pancake mix. Then cook up a delicious group gourmet feast for dinner. You can enjoy your favorite Oregon beer, wine and spirits and not have to worry about driving anywhere.
10. If budget is of concern, traveling during Quiet Season can save you big money. At Mt Hood Vacation Rentals, our Quiet Season is from April 1 - mid-June and again from the first day of fall up to the Thanksgiving weekend. The rates are already discounted and your 3rd night is 1/2 price, the 4th night is free. Also, ask about other available specials.
11. Find out if your vacation rental company has partnerships with any local vendors, attractions, etc., and whether or not they offer discounts or recommendations for area services, including dining, shopping, local activities, transportation and more. When staying in a Mt Hood Vacation Rental, you enjoy the privilige of purchasing discounted lift tickets for Mt Hood Meadows, Timberline and Mt Hood SkiBowl.
12. Ask about extra charges such as security deposits, cleaning fees, damage waivers, recreation fees, parking fees, travel insurance, reservation fees and lodging taxes. All of these fees increase the total nightly cost. At Mt Hood Vacation Rentals, the only extra charges are lodging tax, reservation fee and optional trip cancellation insurance.
13. Before your trip, confirm what amenities are included in the rental home to assist you in planning and packing more efficiently.
15. Are there lots of high-quality photos and virtual tours or videos of the home on the website? These tools will help you to select the best home for your vacation.
16. Real-time online availability and booking services on the website are useful as a way to determine which homes are available for your dates. Also, if you end up finalizing your plans late at night, you can book your reservation yourself online.
17. Once you have booked, you should receive a written confirmation of the home you have rented, the dates, total dollar amount and when payments are due along with rental, cancellation and refund policies. These should be delivered within 24 hours if by email and within a couple of days if by regular mail.
If you are thinking about staying in a Mt Hood Vacation Rental this year, give us a call. We would love to talk with you about your vacation and your needs, then assist you in selecting the best home for your Mt Hood Vacation.
Mt Hood Vacation Planning